Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hardy Hibiscus

This is the story of the hardiest hibiscus plant I know: 

I love tropical flowers.  Growing up in Colorado we never had anything resembling a tropical flower, so when I would go visit my family in Ft. Worth I was always in awe of their amazing gardens and variety of plants.  My favorite was the hibiscus.  One year when I was about 12, while visiting my Texas family, my Aunt Marilyn took me to a greenhouse and bought me my very own hibiscus plant!  It was relatively small since I planned to take it back to Colorado. 

Once it made the 12 hour car ride back to Colorado Springs this little plant was placed in one of our front flower beds.  For the next 10 years it fought snow, wind, and cold.  Every year it would die, then finally pop out of the ground again toward the end of July.  It would grow and grow, and when it was finally covered in buds and just about to bloom.... it would freeze.  Poor plant.  So for 10 years it tried to bloom, and was never successful. 

Well, after Dwyatt and I got married and were planning our move to Oklahoma my parents suggested I take my hibiscus with me.  So, we dug it out of the ground, put it back in a pot, and drove it 9 hours to Oklahoma.  Then we replanted it, wondering just how much this poor plant can take.  Well low & behold it survived!  Let me tell you, this is now one happy plant!  For the past 2 years now, it has easily popped out of the ground in early April, and come mid June it starts to bloom!  The blooms started just this week, and they are gorgeous!  I am so excited that I have many more blooms to look forward to :)  I love the hibiscus flowers because they are huge!  These are about 8" across. 

Anyway, I just wanted to share the story of this incredible little plant... here are a few pictures:






No comments:

Post a Comment