Friday, June 18, 2010

Fast Track Photographer: I'm on my way!

Deep down, I'm a nerd.  I always have been... so what do nerds do when they have a passion?  They read books on the subject in hopes of bettering themselves.  I am currently reading a book called Fast Track Photographer by the world-renowned Dane Sanders.  Let me say, this book is AMAZING!

It teaches you how to grow yourself as a photographer, and how to differentiate yourself from the crowd by building a brand around what makes you unique as an individual.  There are plenty of people who take gorgeous photographs, and I know there will always be someone out there with more talent than I have, so what makes me different?

Through the use of his pDNA system (stands for photographer DNA), you answer about 250 questions about yourself in hopes of determining your individual strengths and weaknesses.  Then you build upon your strengths to create a truly one of a kind brand.  That unique brand is what you offer to the world.

So, this morning I am sitting here, coffee in hand, pondering my pDNA results and discovering what it is that I truly have to offer my clients.  I'm still not done with this process yet, but here are a few things I know about myself that will shape my business:

*  I love people.  I love to interact, visit, and share experiences with people.  This means that when we go out for an engagement shoot or portrait session, I totally just want to hang out with you.  And I'm kind of hoping we can go to dinner together afterwards...  On your wedding day?  I just want to blend in as one of the girls, share your laughter and joy, and be there to capture memories along the way.  

*  I believe in customer service.  Nothing is more aggravating to me, and I me nothing, than when I call a customer service phone number and a computer answers the phone.  Ugh!  Then, to make it worse when you do get through to a real person, then they usually live in another country and have no idea what you're talking about... Ok, sorry I went off on a little tangent, but my point is that when you receive good customer service and an overall good experience with a business it is like a breath of fresh air.  I will provide a great experience for my clients, from the initial meeting, to the day of the shoot, all the way through the design and delivery of albums and prints, my client satisfaction comes first.

*  I'm a girly girl, and I love weddings!  The flowers, the dress, the shoes, the invitations, the cake, all the planning... I love it all!  When I ask you about the details of you're day, I'm not asking because it's "my job" I'm asking because I really want every juicy detail!  I want to know what your dress shopping experience was like, I want to know how you chose a location, I want to know how you picked out the ring.  Know that on your wedding day, while you are overflowing with joy, I will also have a giant grin on my face, thank you for letting me share this day with you  :)

*  I love marriage.  Now, to me this is different than loving weddings... I do love the decor, elegance, and splendor of a fabulous wedding, but without a beautiful marriage the rest is just fluff.  I believe in the holiness and sanctity of marriage.  I believe that love can last a lifetime, and that when God puts two people together nothing can tear them apart.  As a Christian I believe that there is nothing more powerful than love, and that a couple on their wedding day represents one of the purest and deepest kinds of love.  Know that while I am moving around and snapping pictures of your ceremony, my heart is in a worshipful place.  I love the tradition, I take seriously the vows, and I am inspired by God's presence.  I simply feel honored to capture such an amazing moment. 

Wow, I didn't know I had so much to say!  I guess Fast Track Photographer is really doing it's job and making me think!  I still have so far to go with building this business, but I truly feel like the characteristics I mentioned above are what sets me apart.  They come from the heart, and staying true to myself is what will make me unique.  If you're a photographer looking to improve or start your own business I would highly recommend this book, as you can see it has already done worlds for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment