Monday, November 30, 2009

Christmas on the Plains

Having lived in Colorado my whole life (up until about 15 months ago), I have always clung to the picture of a Rocky Mountain Christmas in my mind. I just couldn’t imagine the Christmas season without snow. I loved the feeling of waking up to a world dusted in glistening powder, the sun making each flake sparkle like diamonds under a bright blue sky. It seemed to me like the feeling of Christmas just couldn’t possibly be the same without the picturesque snow covered pines that created the perfect white Christmas.

This year, however, things are different. Oklahoma is a long way from the snow covered slopes of the Rocky’s, but it is filled with its own unique beauty. The last of the leaves are falling, and everything is starting to look quite dormant. The fields have all been harvested, the grasses are brown, and all around me nature is prepared for winter. It has a quiet and peaceful mood to it, especially on days when I wake up to a slight frost covering the ground, and fog that has settled into the trees and valleys. The hushed beauty of the plains is just as breath-taking as the mountains, if only we stop and take the time to notice it.

On Saturday Dwyatt and I went out to snap a few pictures for our Christmas card, in hopes of capturing some of the beauty of Oklahoma. We ventured out into a corn field about 2 miles away from our house. We parked the car next to a giant pumping unit (for an oil well…) and trekked all over the field with my camera, tripod, picnic blanket, two glasses, and a bottle of wine. We waited until right before sunset and the light was gorgeous! It was quite the adventure trying to direct and capture our photos all on our own. Thank goodness for my wireless remote!


After about 40 minutes of running through the field, sitting in the grass, laughing, snuggling, and tolerating the Oklahoma wind, we finally achieved our goal! We then turned the photo shoot into our own little date by sitting on our blanket and enjoying a glass of wine while the sun slipped over the horizon. It was a memorable experience, and we decided this is going to be one of our annual traditions.

Since I haven’t included a picture in the last few posts, here is one of my favorites from the day:


1 comment:

  1. Dang y'all look good! Who is that good lookin man?

    ReplyDelete