Friday, April 1, 2011

In This Moment

In two days time I will turn 25.  Wow, I'm going to be a quarter of a century old!  While a lot of people seem to be hesitant about this birthday, somehow thinking we're on the downhill slide to 30, I am choosing to look at it as reaching the height of my 20's!  I want to live in this moment.

Every year as my birthday approaches, I find myself thinking "have I done everything I wanted to do at this age?  Is there anything I still want to do as a 24 year old?"  I think that this year I can confidently say that I am so happy exactly where I am.  There are so many dreams to be fulfilled, things I want to do, and learn, but today I am content. 

Perhaps I'm starting to learn that life is an ongoing adventure, and that each stage of life should be enjoyed to the fullest, for exactly what it is.  For me, this is a pretty remarkable statement, because I am usually the one constantly thinking of and planning for the future.  And believe me I have lots of plans for the future!  However, today I just want to be the 25 year old version of myself.  I want to spend time with my husband and my friends.  I want to stay up later than I should, drink mimosas with the girls at Sunday brunch, and push myself to run a half marathon. 

I want to discover this city, the world, and myself with my wonderful husband by my side.  I want to try all kinds of new things and go new places.  I heard a quote the other day about turning 25... "it's an age where you have the perfect combination between youthful exuberance and wisdom."  I love that!  So true!  I love the fact that I'm a responsible adult, I'm independent, and I can take care of myself.  I love that I have a successful career, and that I have moved beyond being a crazy partying college kid.  Yet, I still feel that I have a youthful optimism that I hope to always have. 

When I think about where I want my life to be in 5 years, it's such a different picture.  I've always pictured that in my 30's I would have a family, and revel in all the joys of raising children.  So, for the next few years, between now and then, I have so many things I want to do for me.  Travel the world, learn a new language, get lost on a road trip to nowhere, and just live life out loud! 

Oh I couldn't be more excited for all that 25 has to offer!!  Here's to living life, and soaking up all the joy I can, in this moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment