Monday, February 21, 2011

Hats, Scarves, Boots, and Gloves

So, like I mentioned a few days ago, I have been thinking a lot about fashion lately.  This has kind of become my recent avenue of artistic interest.  I find that trying to focus on a certain type of art, whether it be paintings, architecture, literature, interior design, or fashion... they all help me think more creatively and challenge me to define my style both for my personal life, as well as through my photography.

Anyway, lately I have been focusing on fashion.  I have always loved clothes and accessories.  I love to dress up and usually I don't mind if I'm over dressed!  I'm 5'9" but I still love heels and I have a closet full of them!  I think that fashion can be a great way to express yourself, and to feel confident in who you are.  However, I also think it takes effort.  I don't think people just roll out of bed looking fabulous... they probably spend some time contemplating an outfit and ensuring that it's accessorized perfectly. 

It seems to me that if you don't take the time to to be aware of style, or to try to determine what you personally love, you can fall into a "fashion rut".  I know that I am guilty of waking up early, throwing on slacks, a sweater, and flats to wear to work.  Are they appropriate?  Yes.  Do they make a statement to the world about who I am?  No.  (Well, actually they probably do make a statement, just not the one I want!) 

So, with this thought I have been trying to not only make a conscious effort each day to consider how I want the world to see me, but also to define what my style is.  I read some blogs, looked at articles online, and tried to find some guidance.  Basically they all said, "you're style is either classic, romantic, urban, bohemian, sporty, or eclectic".  Hmm... not much help. 

I started to think about some of my favorite stores: Banana Republic, Ann Taylor Loft, Express, along with things like Forever 21 and Anthropologie.  From this list, and after some reflection, I think I would describe myself as a girl who likes classic styles, probably preppy at times, but also loves to throw in some bold trendy accessories.  Not sure if that's a specific "type" but I that's who I am.  I love my dresses with kitten heels and pearls... and I also love my polka dot shoes and peacock feather headband! 

Ok, so this was kind of random, but I'm just thinking out loud... all in an effort to live out loud!

2 comments:

  1. Live out loud -- what a great motto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what would be awesome? If we could share a closet again!!! I miss having twice the wardrobe!!

    ReplyDelete