Thursday, October 14, 2010

Oklahoma - the land of extreme weather!

So yesterday I experienced my first earthquake... and I was in Oklahoma City.  Absolute craziness!  I have decided that Oklahoma has the strangest weather I have ever seen!  Apparently nothing is out of the realm of possibility on the plains of Oklahoma. 

The earthquake yesterday was registered as a 5.1 on the Richter scale.  That is a pretty sizable quake if you ask me!  I was sitting in an elementary school where I tutor 4th graders every Wednesday, and all of the sudden the whole place just started vibrating!  It lasted long enough that people stood up, wandered around, and were looking out windows and whatnot... very strange... 

Anyway, within the last year in Oklahoma we have experienced: 

  1)  A blizzard - with record breaking snowfall
  2)  An ice storm
  3)  Tornadoes - these are common place
  4)  Hail the size of softballs - literally
  5)  A 500 year flood
  6)  Extreme heat advisories
  7)  A dust storm
  8)  A tropical storm
  9)  And an earthquake!!!
10)  ??  - Surely we'll round out the year with a #10, I just don't know what's left on the list!!

Oh crazy Oklahoma... at least you keep life interesting :) 

3 comments:

  1. A monsoon??

    The weather there is insane! I guess that's why the cost of living is lower than other places. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A 500 year flood and an Earthquake? Seriously crazy.

    Oh and I think it's wonderful that you tutor 4th graders by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live right on a fault for two years and you get an earthquake first!?!

    I blame global warming!

    :)

    ReplyDelete