Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Proud to be an American

The day is finally here. The day we inaugurate a new leader of the free world, President Barack Obama. I have not really been looking forward to this day. In fact, I voted for the other guy... While I wouldn't say I agreed totally with McCain's point of view, he was more in line with my beliefs than Obama. My beliefs have not changed, so part of me is still a bit weary about our new President.

However, when I was watching the coverage on the Internet today I couldn't help but be overwhelmed with pride and joy for this day. No, I don't agree with Obama's beliefs on many subjects; but yes, I will stand behind him and give him a chance. If he really will carry out his pledge of peace and change then I am all for him!! I believe we need change, and I pray he is the best President this country has ever seen!!

America is an amazing place. The freedoms we have here are like no other place on earth. It doesn't matter who wins or loses an election we should all still be proud to call America home. I know I certainly wouldn't want to live anywhere else. That being said, I believe it's time we all put our differences aside and show our new President all the support he deserves. He has his work cut out for him, and I plan to support him and respect him as our new leader.

I am immensely proud of my country today. We are moving forward, putting past differences in race and political beliefs behind us and we are taking the first step towards change. The republican in me is still weary, but the American in me is so excited!!!

I have had this song in my head all day and I keep wanting to sing it outloud at the top of my lungs. However, since I am at work I am simply going to post the lyrics here. This is one of the best country songs ever written about America and our precious freedom:

God Bless the USA
by Lee Greenwood
If tomorrow all the things were gone,
I’d worked for all my life.
And I had to start again,
with just my children and my wife.

I’d thank my lucky stars,to be livin here today.
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

From the lakes of Minnesota,
to the hills of Tennessee.
Across the plains of Texas,
From sea to shining sea.

From Detroit down to Houston,
and New York to L.A.
Well there's pride in every American heart,
and its time we stand and say.

That I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

And I’m proud to be and American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

1 comment:

  1. I hate that song!!!

    Hahahaha... it's only because when I was little I did baton twirling and that's the song we did EVERY parade too while wearing these sequined leotard things and it was hot and miserable. I HATED it! So needless to say, that songs makes me have flashbacks! He he he :)

    ReplyDelete